Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Juventus defended the European Super League (ESL) in a joint statement on Saturday after European ruling body UEFA threatened them with sanctions.
The statement said the 12 founding clubs have suffered “unacceptable third-party pressures, threats, and offences” to abandon the project and “therefore desist from their right and duty to provide solutions to the football ecosystem.”
“This is intolerable under the rule of law.
“Tribunals have already ruled in favour of the Super League proposal, ordering FIFA and UEFA too, either directly or through their affiliated bodies, refrain from taking any action which may hinder this initiative in any way while court proceedings are pending,” the clubs said.
Out of the original dozen clubs, Real Madrid, FC Barcelona and Juventus have so far not given up on their Super League ambitions.
The three clubs reinforced their conviction that they created the Super League to provide solutions “to the current unsustainable situation in the football industry”.
They added that it was also to ensure the sport survives in the long term, bringing “financial stability” to the European football community.
They said they are “fully aware of the diversity of reactions” to the initiative and that they were ready to “reconsider the proposed approach.”
However, the clubs added it would be irresponsible to abandon such a “mission to provide effective and sustainable answers to the existential questions that threaten the football industry.”