By: Akinloye NG
Though it is not too late for Oba Lekan Balogun and his co-rebellious obas he’s leading to retrace their steps, so as for him to ascend the Olubadan throne. Their current obstinacy and illegal selection won’t give him the throne at all. Though such retracing actions won’t be a total legal way out because they will have to be re-installed as high chiefs again by an Olubadan.
According to the Olubadan Chieftaincy Declaration of 1957, the kingmakers are required to forward the name of the next king to the state government within 14 days from the death of the last occupier, which makes the deadline to be January 16, 2022 that the statutory 11 kingmakers, Otun Olubadan, Osi Olubadan, Ashipa Olubadan, Ekerin Olubadan, Balogun, Otun Balogun, Osi Balogun, Ashipa Balogun, Ekerin Balolgun, Iyalode and Seriki will have to select and forward the next name from either the Olubadan line or Balogun line to the state government depending on the line of the last occupier. The last Olubadan was from Balogun line, which means the other line (Olubadan) will produce the next Olubadan line.
Now, issues are:
- An oba cannot succeed an Olubadan, only the next High Chief from either Egbe Agba or Balogun lines.
- The then next High Chief to Olubadan from Egbe Agba line is now an Oba of Ali Iwo Kingdom, Oba Lekan Balogun and cannot revert back to previous chieftaincy until he’s re-installed traditionally as high chief again by an Olubadan.
- The current next High Chief from Egbe Agba line is Osi Olubadan, High Chief Adewolu Ladoja.
- Kings are not members of Olubadan kingmakers. The kingmakers are Otun Olubadan, Osi Olubadan, Ashipa Olubadan, Ekerin Olubadan, Balogun, Otun Balogun, Osi Balogun, Ashipa Balogun, Ekerin Balogun, Iyalode and Seriki. With the position of Seriki being vacant, the number is currently 10.
- Out of the 21 high chiefs coronated as obas by Ajimobi, 5 later (as a result of out-of-court truce brokered by Gov. Makinde after taking over from Ajimobi) dropped their crowns, submitted to the authority of Olubadan as tradition demands and were elevated into their appropriate ranks by the Olubadan (as approved by Oyo State Government) by receiving fresh ‘Akoko’ leaves before going down on their chests three times as required by Ibadan customs and traditions.
The 5 are: High Chief Tajudeen Abimbola Ajibola, new Otun Balogun; High Chief Lateef Gbadamosi Adebimpe, new Osi Balogun; High Chief Kolawole Adegbola, new Asipa Balogun; Senior Chief Olubunmi Dada, new Ekerin Balogun and Senior Chief Abiodun Agagagugu, new Ekarun Balogun.
- Oba Lekan Balogun, Oba Lakulehin and some others are still having their obaships preserved per their case in court as they have refused to withdraw the case (your Olubadan and our obaship being the condition other obas are giving him for their own support)
- Olubadan Council has slated a meeting for Tuesday 11th (5 days to deadline) at Olubadan Palace, inviting all kingmakers for issues and later selection process. But those obas don’t visit Olubadan Palace except the High Chiefs. Hence HC Ladoja and other Chiefs visits after the demise of Olubadan.
- In the eyes of the law, the Tuesday meeting will be the valid one to pick the next Olubadan as those before it weren’t properly and legally constituted by having Oba Lekan Balogun (that was picked as candidate) and other obas claiming Ekarun Olubadan and Ekarun Balogun (which as both are not members of the kingmakers under the Ibadan Chieftaincy Declaration), thereby making all decisions previously taken a nullity.
- The Tuesday meeting will also only be validly constituted with the attendance of just Osi Olubadan, Otun Balogun, Osi Balogun, Ashipa Balogun, Ekerin Balogun and Iyalode (Seriki is vacant); and the attendance of Otun Balogun, Osi Balogun, Ashipa Balogun, Ekerin Balogun and Iyalode (Seriki is vacant) during the selection proper.
- Once the formal Council meeting closes and the proper Olubadan selection nomination meeting is to commence, the next in line from Egbe Agba (Osi Olubadan) and the legal candidate for the stool (last Olubadan was from Balogun line) will take his leave from the precincts and the next ranking High Chief after him (which according to the law must be from the other line -Balogun) in the meeting (Otun Balogun), will nominate him and once the nomination is ratified by other members, such name shall be forwarded to the state government latest 16th January, for approval of and announcement by the state government.
Ibadan never had it this tough. The evils men does really live after them.