The 2023 CAF Africa Cup of Nations is about to come to an explosive end as the Super Eagles of Nigeria get ready to face the Elephants of Côte d’Ivoire in the final on Sunday, February 11.
The tournament hosts Cote d’Ivoire secured their spot in the final on Wednesday night after overcoming the Democratic Republic of the Congo 1-0.
Meanwhile, the Super Eagles progressed to the semi-finals after defeating South Africa 4-2 in an exciting penalty shootout.
Here are twelve things to know about the AFCON final:
- The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations final is scheduled to take place on Sunday, February 11, 2024, with the match scheduled to kick off at 9 pm Nigerian time.
- The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations final will be held at the Alassane Ouattara Stadium in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, known also as the Olympic Stadium of Ebimpe.
- The stadium has a seating capacity of 60,000, it is the largest stadium in the country.
- The clash will be available to watch on Sky Sports Main Event, Sky Sports Football, Sky Sports Premier League, Sky Sports Ultra HDR, BBC Three, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport Website in the UK.
- Nigeria beat Ivory coast en route to two of their three Africa Cup of Nations (1994, 2013)
- The winners of the competition will win a cash prize of $7m (N9bn).
- The second place will win a cash prize of $4m.
- Nigeria have only conceded two goals the entire competition, while Cote d’Ivoire’s defence has been leaking, shipping eight goals in six games
- Nigeria and Ivory Coast played in the same group, and this final will be one of the few times teams from the same group faced in the final.
- Ivory Coast are the first host nation to reach the Africa Cup of Nations final since Egypt in 2006.
- Nigeria are playing in their eighth AFCON final, only Egypt and Ghana (both 9) have played in more such games in the competition.
- All four of Ivory Coast’s previous Africa Cup of Nations finals have ended goalless and gone to penalties – they won two of those shootouts (1992 and 2015, both vs Ghana) and lost two (2006 vs Egypt and 2012 vs Zambia).